How might I entertain and affirm my Black child during COVID, and an unstable political arena, while facing racial injustice?
By Nora Joy L.I.C.S.W YALE University 2000 CS Fellow
Director of Behavioral Health for Color of Law Center
Teaching Tolerance from the Southern Poverty Law Center
· Teaching for Change's Project Social Justice Books
· Indianapolis Children's Museum's List of Children's Books about Race
· Coretta Scott King Book Award Winners and Nominees from the American Library Association
· 31 Children's Books to support conversations on race from Embrace Race
· Talking to Kids about Race from National Geographic
· The 1619 Project from the New York Times
· How To Be Anti-Racist by Ibram X. Kendi
· Why White Parents Need to Do More Than Talk to Their Kids About Racism by Margaret A. Hagerman
· Talking About Race from the National Museum of African American History and Culture
· "I'm a Black Climate Scientist. Racism derails our effort to save the planet." by Ayana Elizabeth Johnson
· The Impact of Racism on Child and Adolescent Health from the American Academy of Pediatrics
· Resources for Talking about Race, Racism, and Racialized Violence with Kids from the Center for Racial Justice and Education
· Talking to Children About Racial Bias from the American Academy of Pediatrics
· Talking Race with Young Children from NPR's Life Kit: Parenting Podcast
· Anti-Racism Workshops from Raising Race Conscious Children
· Social and Emotional Learning: Diverse Reading List from Lee & Low Books
· Common Sense Social and Cultural Literacy Resources for Classroomsfrom Common Sense Education
· Teaching for Black Lives Handbook from the Washington Post
· Talking to Children After Racial Incidents with Dr. Howard Stevenson, University of Pennsylvania Graduate School of Education
· Beyond the Golden Rule: A Parent’s Guide to Preventing and Responding to Prejudice from Teaching Tolerance
· “Talking to Kids About Race, Early and Often” from the New York Times
· Understanding Race and Privilege from the National Association of School Psychologists
· Kojo For Kids: Jason Reynolds Talks About Racism And The Protests from the Kojo Nnamdi Show
· An article highlighting the importance of using data as a tool for change by Yeshi, Founder of Data for Black Lives
· Check out the Instagram account of @hereweeread, a Diversity and Inclusion Expert
· Resources to advance SEL as a lever for equity from The Collaborative for Academic, Social, and Emotional Learning
· For parenting and education through a critical race lens check out @theconsciouskid
Free Broadband for Low Income Households
Internet Essentials affordable internet at home.
CDC reports on the effects of COVID-19 on children.
NPR comic from leading experts to help you speak to your child about the virus.
American Academy of Pediatrics resources to guide discussions during this stressful time.
A guide from the NCTSN for dealing with the trauma and stress
Meals for students (VA, MD, and DC)
Common Sense Media Resources for Families During the Coronavirus Pandemic
Free week-long virtual summer camps from Varsity Tutors