Anti- Racism Resources
By Nora Joy L.I.C.S.W YALE University 2000 CS Fellow
Director of Behavioral Health for Color of Law Center
How might I entertain and affirm my Black child during COVID, and an unstable political arena, while facing racial injustice?
Teaching Tolerance from the Southern Poverty Law Center
· Teaching for Change's Project Social Justice Books
· Indianapolis Children's Museum's List of Children's Books about Race
· Coretta Scott King Book Award Winners and Nominees from the American Library Association
· 31 Children's Books to support conversations on race from Embrace Race
· Talking to Kids about Race from National Geographic
· The 1619 Project from the New York Times
· How To Be Anti-Racist by Ibram X. Kendi
· Why White Parents Need to Do More Than Talk to Their Kids About Racism by Margaret A. Hagerman
· Talking About Race from the National Museum of African American History and Culture
· "I'm a Black Climate Scientist. Racism derails our effort to save the planet." by Ayana Elizabeth Johnson
· The Impact of Racism on Child and Adolescent Health from the American Academy of Pediatrics
· Resources for Talking about Race, Racism, and Racialized Violence with Kids from the Center for Racial Justice and Education
· Talking to Children About Racial Bias from the American Academy of Pediatrics
· Talking Race with Young Children from NPR's Life Kit: Parenting Podcast
· Anti-Racism Workshops from Raising Race Conscious Children
· Social and Emotional Learning: Diverse Reading List from Lee & Low Books
· Common Sense Social and Cultural Literacy Resources for Classroomsfrom Common Sense Education
· Teaching for Black Lives Handbook from the Washington Post
· Talking to Children After Racial Incidents with Dr. Howard Stevenson, University of Pennsylvania Graduate School of Education
· Beyond the Golden Rule: A Parent’s Guide to Preventing and Responding to Prejudice from Teaching Tolerance
· “Talking to Kids About Race, Early and Often” from the New York Times
· Understanding Race and Privilege from the National Association of School Psychologists
· Kojo For Kids: Jason Reynolds Talks About Racism And The Protests from the Kojo Nnamdi Show
· An article highlighting the importance of using data as a tool for change by Yeshi, Founder of Data for Black Lives
· Check out the Instagram account of @hereweeread, a Diversity and Inclusion Expert
· Resources to advance SEL as a lever for equity from The Collaborative for Academic, Social, and Emotional Learning
· For parenting and education through a critical race lens check out @theconsciouskid
Free Broadband for Low Income Households
Internet Essentials affordable internet at home.
CDC reports on the effects of COVID-19 on children.
NPR comic from leading experts to help you speak to your child about the virus.
American Academy of Pediatrics resources to guide discussions during this stressful time.
A guide from the NCTSN for dealing with the trauma and stress
Meals for students (VA, MD, and DC)
Common Sense Media Resources for Families During the Coronavirus Pandemic
Free week-long virtual summer camps from Varsity Tutors